Welcome to Year 1
Our classes are 1RS taught by Mrs Spencer and Ms Farndon and 1SD who are taught by Miss Davies.
Mrs Poole and Mrs Toumazou are our Teaching Assistants.
Click here to view our Year 1 Amazon book wish list. All donations gratefully received and will help us develop a love of reading!
Useful Year 1 documents
- Term 1 Knowledge Organiser Who lives in a place like this
- Term 1 Overview Who lives in a place like this
- Term 2 Knowledge organiser To Infinity Beyond
- Term 2 Overview To Infinity and Beyond
- Term 3 Knowledge Organiser Polar Adventure
- Term 3 Overview Polar Adventure
- Term 4 Knowledge Organiser Paws claws and whiskers
- Term 5 Knowledge Organiser Time travellers
- Term 5 Overview TIME TRAVELLERS
- Term 6 Knowledge organiser Where we wander
- Term 6 Overview Where We Wander
- Year 1 Curriculum Overview
What kinds of things do we do in Year 1?
Year 1 marks the start of Key Stage One, where children meet a more formal curriculum arranged into subjects. At Westbury, we understand the importance of a smooth transition between the more free flow arrangement of our Early Years classes and more adult led lessons. This means that our Year 1 classes still have a role play area and the opportunity to lead their own learning during the school day as we gradually build up to settling into the Key Stage One Curriculum.
The Year 1 classrooms are situated just next door to Trym (our Early Years Unit) and we have our own separate playground which is tucked away from the rest of the school. This means that year 1 can wave to familiar adults from Trym when they go outside at the beginning of term and can have a calmer quieter playtime away from the older children.
Each term we work on a different topic and we share a "knowledge organiser" with parents showing all the information that we expect all children to understand by the end of term.
We welcome parent volunteers supporting learning in school by reading with children in school, organising cookery activities, accompanying us on trips and visits or even doing a Zoom call from your place of work to show us what you do!